Dr. Jay Granat, founder of www.stayinthezone.com, appeared on WCBS TV yesterday. He was interviewed by WCBS TV Anchor, Cindy Hsu. Granat outline 8 tips parents and coaches can use to teach athletes how to manage anger and frustration and how to develop good sportsmanship.
You can find more information and the interview at www.cbstv.com
Here are some of the tips:
1. Let your performance do your talking instead of your fists or your mouth.
2. Anger will negatively impact your ability to stay in the zone and perform your best.
3. There are negative consequences for behaving in a violent or uncivilized manner.
4. Nothing is as strong as gentleness.
5. Very few people enjoy being an angry state of mind. It is not good for you or for your body.
6. Patience and calmness really are wonderful virtues.
7. You can't always get what you want in sports or in life. You need to learn to accept life’s challenges.
8. Sporting events can be serious and competitive, but they are not life or death