Tennis players of all levels periodically struggle with their serve.
Once you learn the mechanics of hitting the serve, it is useful to have a mental routine to go along with your service routine and motion.
Here is a simple method which many players have found helpful.
1. Walk up to the line confidently.
2. Take a deep breath and inhale relaxation, confidence,focus and enjoyment. Exhale and let go of any anxiety, self doubt, distraction or worry.
Take a few more breaths if necessary.
3. Pick the spot you want to serve to and zero in on getting the ball to that spot. If you like, you can color your target spot with your favorite color.
4. Bounce the ball from one to four times to find your rhythm.
5. Make sure your arm and your wrist remains loose and flexible through your stroke.
6. See the sky and the ball when you make contact.
For a comprehensive program on having a killer serve and getting mentally tough, check out this program.
Dr. Jay Granat